Re: [vserver] Developer recommendations.

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Thu 08 Jul 2010 - 19:16:41 BST

Edward Capriolo wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Roderick A. Anderson
> <raanders@cyber-office.net> wrote:

>>> <snip/>

>>> OK something new to get into. IPv6. I've been able to avoid it so far. :-)
>>>
>>> I am getting an error from your repo. PkgKey 44 doesn't exist?
>>
>> Duh!
>>
>>  yum clean all
>>  yum clean metadata
>>

>> Rod
>> --
>>>
>>> That ring a bell for you or anyone else. I'm sure Google will have some
>>> input when I get to it.
>>>

>>> Rod
>>

> So the challenge with redhat/centos is the way kernel patches are
> backported. It is very intensive to applying the myriad backported
> patches as well as the vserver patches and be able to deal with the
> conflicts.

It's not really that hard, just time-consuming to do for every single
release. That is why I gave up and created a vanilla kernel instead.
For RHEL though, your issue is more that it is based on 2.6.18, which
would mean an ancient Linux-VServer patch, or, trying to backport a
new patch to an ancient kernel, neither of which is really feasible.

> For fc12 I took the approach of applying vserver patch first and then
> removing anything that conflicted with it..

Have you validated the correctness of that? Patches are quite often
interdependent...

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson