Re: [vserver] Developer recommendations.

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Wed 07 Jul 2010 - 21:14:55 BST

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On 07/06/2010 08:25 PM, Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
>> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>>> I currently use LV hosts and guests based on CentOS 5.x.
>
> First off thanks to all for your replies.
>

>>> This means I either have to learn to build my own kernel RPM or (this is
>>> going to sound bad no matter how I put it) trust in others. The trust
>>> isn't so much in their work but in their having time to do the work.
>>>
>>> I figure I should start building my own. This way I get the latest and
>>> greatest and it could lead to a LV "distribution."
>>>
>>> So how do I go about getting the leanest and meanest host? Right now,
>>> even if I build from a stripped down install of CentOS there are a pile
>>> of "extras".
>>
>> "Extras"?
>
> Well probably the wrong term. Rather all the dependencies. Yum
> requires Python etc.

Yeah, you can't build CentOS guests from the repos without yum (and
thus Python). I use python for a lot of other things though, e.g.
snmpd plugins, so that's not really an issue for me...

>>> But I'd still like to build CentOS guests (yum, etc.) to make the
>>> maintenance/upkeep easier on others.
>>>
>>> They feel like contradictory goals.
>>
>> What are the goals, exactly?
>
> A stripped down host but CentOS guests.

Assuming you go for something not CentOS, I guess you can build
template guests elsewhere.

>>> So my question for now: How do the developers build their systems?
>>
>> Personally, I use CentOS 5 almost exclusively, with two Debian systems
>> sprinkled in there.
>
> OK. I like that (and I knew you used CentOS.)
>
> Do you build, for your own use, kernel, yum, and util-vserver RPMs?
> Even if not where do I find the spec files or src RPMs that you use for
> the yum repo? (And I feel a big twinge of guilt since I think I went
> through something similar to this a year of so ago then fell down on
> getting the info on the wiki.) 8-(

The source RPMs are available from the repository,
http://rpm.hozac.com/dhozac/centos/5/vserver/SRPMS/ and spec files etc
from http://src.hozac.com/viewvc/rpms/ (requires IPv6).

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson