Re: [vserver] Login related questions

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Sat 19 Jun 2010 - 19:37:01 BST

Siv wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am getting an error when attempting to change the root password within
> container.
>
> passwd: unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 is not
> authorized to change the password of root

Do you have SELinux disabled?

> Also anyway to get login shell (username/password prompt) while doing
> "vserver enter" ? Are upstart files used during init ?

It's for maintenance only, similar to single-user mode. It should not
have a password prompt. You can if you want though, by setting your
shell file to /bin/login.

> In my case I have event.d/rc* files (and another guest has getty in inittab)
> but am never prompted for password. Infact it looks like inittab or other
> scripts are never executed. Is that correct?

Unless you use the plain initstyle, that is correct. The sysv initstyle,
which is default, will only run the rc script and start your services,
since typically you don't need an init in a guest.

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson