Re: [vserver] Networking questions

From: Martin <inkubus_at_interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Fri 18 Jun 2010 - 00:05:59 BST

On Thu, 2010-06-17 at 09:52 -0700, Siv wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Few networking related questions. Hope you can help.
>
> 1. How is it possible to assign different IP addresses for host and
> guest ? Basically am interested in the internals. Any pointer to doc
> would be helpful.
You use aliases to assign multiple IPs to the same device and then
chbind to limit the processes within a vserver to only using particular
IPs. Or at least, that's my understanding.

> 2. Can I configure guest and host be in different networks / subnets
> (assuming I have multiple interfaces) ? I can't try this yet as I just
> have one interface.
You don't need separate interfaces, just something out of te interface
that can route multiple networks. Your point is correct though as you
can pick which interface the aliases are assigned to and thus separate
using multiple interfaces.

> 3. Does guest and host use different routing tables / VRFs ?
I believe they use the same one.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin