Re: [vserver] Changing a guest's IP address during runtime

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Fri 11 Jun 2010 - 13:07:22 BST

On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 19:04 +0800, Patrick Nagel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can the IP address assigned to a guest be changed from the host during
> runtime? If so, how?
>
> Background info: I have an openvpn client running on the host, which
> provides a VPN connection to one of the guests. Recently the IP address of
> the local VPN endpoint changed. The guest could no longer use the VPN. I
> had to shut the guest down, change /etc/vservers/guest/interfaces/ip to the
> new local VPN endpoint IP address and start it up again.
>
> Patrick.

I'm not sure how well it will play with OpenVPN but you can try
naddress. Perhaps remove the current address from the guest, remove it
from the host with the ip command, add the new address to the host with
ip, and then associate it with the guest via naddress. Then change the
configuration files to make the change permanent. Hope that helps -
John