Re: [vserver] Application containers

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Thu 10 Jun 2010 - 19:20:41 BST

On Thu June 10 2010, Nirmal Guhan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Jon Bendtsen <jbendtsen@laerdal.dk> wrote:
>
> > On 10/06/2010, at 04.32, Nirmal Guhan wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does vserver provide any method for application virtualization (for
> > instance, lxc can create application containers) ? Please let me know.
> >
> > You could make a ultra minimal guest installation which basicly is just
> > your application and some needed libraries.
> >

> > JonB
> >

> Thanks. I assume I would also need the init files (inittab, rc.x etc.) for
> this to work?

A staticly linked copy of a stripped down Busybox should do the job.
Just be sure to enable a shell (ash?), init, mdev and <as required>
after doing an "all no" config.

That would be pretty small, a few Mbytes probably.
How much overhead does using lxc add to the guest image?

And you could share that Busybox across guests.

Mike