Re: [vserver] Unable to Start one Guest after kernel/util-vserver upgrade

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 04 Jun 2010 - 13:14:15 BST

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 05:10:29PM +0930, Mike O'Connor wrote:
> Hi Guys

> I just upgraded the kernel on my home server because of
> drive support issues.

> Its now running:
> Linux: 2.6.33.1-vs2.3.0.36.30.3

what was it running before?

> util-vserver: 0.30.216~r2772-6~bpo40+1

you probably want to update that, otherwise you won't
be too happy with a recent kernel

> All my older guests have started up with no issue but the
> ubuntu hardy will not start.

lucky you :)

> Its get the following error:
> ----
> apps1:~# vserver squeezebox start
> vsysctl: open("."): Permission denied
> An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
> there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
> (/sbin/init) failed.
> Common causes are:
> * /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm'
> build method knows how to deal with this, but on existing
> installations, appending 'true' to this file will help.
> Failed to start vserver 'squeezebox'
> ----

> Any ideas, there is alot more information I could give but
> someone out there might just know the answer.

my best guess with this really minimal information
would be that you upgraded from a 2.6.26/27 kernel
and now need to fix up the filesystem attributes
(but just a guess :)