Re: [vserver] Resource Throttling

From: --[ UxBoD ]-- <uxbod_at_splatnix.net>
Date: Thu 20 May 2010 - 15:03:19 BST

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 02:01:04PM +0100, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Slowly getting to grips with VServer though have a question over
> > resource sharing. We have a server with 8 CPUs and 32GB RAM; and 20
> > contexts running. The nature of each context is a virtual desktop
> > and recently have experienced a problem where one context has
> > consumed a
> > high amount of CPU and memory.
>
> > I have read the documentation on context rlimits though am a little
> > confused on how best to set the fill and interval rates. My aim is
> > not to impede our desktops, and allow bursting when required, but I
> > wish to stop runaway processes from bringing down the other
> > contexts.
>
> > The initial thoughts are that we should set each context to
> > sched_prio
> > and for the limits use:
>
> > fill-rate : 3
> > interval : 10
> > max-tokens : 5000
> > min-tokens : 1000
>
> > How do you these values sound ?
>
> sound good to me, what kernel/patch do you use?
>
> > I see how the values are updated in /proc/virtual/<CTX>/sched though
> > is there any easy way to keep a running track of how many tokens are
> > being consumed by each context ?
>
> not really, although the number of tokens currently
> in the bucket is shown too, so it is possible to
> calculate that (to some extend)
>
> HTH,
> Herbert
>
> > Looking forward to any responses.
> > -- Thanks, Phil

Hello Herbert,

Thank you for your response. I am running 2.6.28.7-vs2.3.0.36.7 though plan to update too a 2.6.32 kernel in the near future.

Looking at the vsched command it also has options for:

--fill-rate2 <fill-rate2> --interval2 <interval2>

how are these used as I was unable to find an example ?

--
Thanks, Phil