[vserver] Resource Throttling

From: --[ UxBoD ]-- <uxbod_at_splatnix.net>
Date: Thu 20 May 2010 - 14:01:04 BST

Hello all,

Slowly getting to grips with VServer though have a question over resource sharing. We have a server with 8 CPUs and 32GB RAM; and 20 contexts running. The nature of each context is a virtual desktop and recently have experienced a problem where one context has consumed a high amount of CPU and memory.

I have read the documentation on context rlimits though am a little confused on how best to set the fill and interval rates. My aim is not to impede our desktops, and allow bursting when required, but I wish to stop runaway processes from bringing down the other contexts.

The initial thoughts are that we should set each context to sched_prio and for the limits use:

fill-rate : 3
interval : 10
max-tokens : 5000
min-tokens : 1000

How do you these values sound ?

I see how the values are updated in /proc/virtual/<CTX>/sched though is there any easy way to keep a running track of how many tokens are being consumed by each context ?

Looking forward to any responses.

--
Thanks, Phil