Re: [vserver] Problem calling PHP socket_read() function

From: David Vanfleet <vanfleet_at_cedarview.net>
Date: Wed 19 May 2010 - 04:02:40 BST

Thanks for your response Herbert.

On 5/18/2010 8:25 AM, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:07:03AM -0600, David Vanfleet wrote:
>
>> Hi I have a Linux Vserver guest that has been running the ispCP Omega
>> hosting control panel. The control panel was running fine until I moved
>> that guest to a different piece of hardware also running Linux Vserver.
>> Now I'm having nothing but problems. There seems to be a problem
>> running the php socket_read() function. When it tries to execute that
>> function it just sits there until it times out. Both of these systems
>> are running the same Kernel and the same version of Linux Vserver
>> (2.6.31.7 and vs2.3.0 for Vserver), also both Vserver hosts are running
>> Debian Lenny and the guest is also Debian. I have no idea what the
>> problem is.I don't think this is a problem with the control panel. I
>> have been struggling with this for several weeks now and am becoming
>> quite frustrated so any help here would be appreciated.
>>
> if what you say is true, I'd conclude that the hardware
> on one machine is faulty, but more likely the following
> is the case (pick at least one :)
>
> - config between guests differs

The two guests are the same, I used rsync to copy the /vservers/guest
and /etc/vservers/guest directories from the old system to the new system.
> - util-vserver version/configuration differs

It looks like this is true the util-vserver on the original system is
0.30.216-r2772-6 and the new system is 0.30.216-pre2864-2, which one
should I be using? Is is safe to try to update this utility on a
production system? Also, if this is a vserver config problem, what
should I be looking for?
> - kernel configuration/build differs

After taking a closer look it looks like the kernels are different too,
the original is 2.6.29.6 and the new one is 2.6.31.7. But I still don't
understand even with these differences, why I would be having these
problems. What Kernel or Vserver settings would cause this kind of a
problem?
> - the guest was not properly moved

What is the correct way to move a Vserver guest? I've never seen any
instructions on how to do this. I used rsync.