Re: [vserver] multiple pormap daemons?

From: JF Straeten <jfstraeten_at_scarlet.be>
Date: Mon 17 May 2010 - 14:31:42 BST

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 02:48:21PM +0200, Petar Hitij wrote:

> > I think it's the opposite : NFS can't start because portmap isn't
> > running...

> portmap is running. It is not listening on 127.0.0.1 so other daemons
> cannot register.
>
> I cannot get portmap to listen just to 127.0.0.1 and to eth0 interface
> ip. It is one or the other.

It was tricky, IIRC, but it works here on the host with just

OPTIONS="-i 127.0.0.1"

in /etc/default/portmap

(And nothing in guests.)

> > NB 1) out of memory : it you set "-i 127.0.0.1" for portmap on the
> >   host, IIRC you should specify the 'port' and 'mountport' options on
> >   the clients for the NFS mount to succeed (they can't contact the
> >   host portmap since it's not running on the network IP, just on the
> >   lo, so a hint is necessary)
>
> True, but not maintanable.

Yes :-/

> There is one more option - use one portmapper for all vservers.
> It doesn't work because portmap is filtering register requests
> from "non-local" ip numbers.

Not tried... But BTW, there are also other options :

- user space NFS server ? unfs3 can work without portmap to some
extend (but will require port/mountport on clients too, so perhaps not
an option in your case...) ;

- glusterfs ? It's a user space cluster FS, easy to setup and with
  very decent performances.

Hih,

--
JFS.