Re: [vserver] Hostname changed to zaphod?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 26 Apr 2010 - 18:42:16 BST

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 05:42:51PM +0200, Laurens Vets wrote:
> Hello,

> I'm kind of last at the moment. I've upgraded my Slackware 12.0
> installation to 12.2 and upgraded the kernel to
> 2.6.32.11-grsec2.1.14-vs2.3.0.36.29.4-smp.

> My util-vserver is 0.30.215.

which is too old for a recent kernel (it is more than two
years since it was released, and back then, nobody knew
that the mainline kernel would change :)

> My vserver guests (still running 12.0) seem to work.

they seem to, but as a matter of fact, the isolation is
gone and the namespaces are partially non-functional

> However, when I log in to this machine, the hostname in my prompt is
> 'zaphod'. When I start screen and create a new terminal, my hostname
> (in my prompt) changes to the name of the lastly started vserver...

> Has anyone seen this behavior? If so, what's happening here?

yep, many debian users have, some gentoo folks too :)
what happens is that cloning the namespaces fails because
mainline changed the way it needs to be done and the
tools are too old to know ...