Re: [vserver] Howto configure graphic card in a guest/Xorg-server configuration

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Wed 24 Mar 2010 - 19:04:21 GMT

On 24/03/2010 10:34, Romberg Christo wrote:

> I'm trying to get X to work in a guest. On this page
> http://oldwiki.linux-vserver.org/MoreUbuntu it is written:
>
> "For accelerated Xorg, specific device nodes might need to be assigned
> for each seat, e.g. for NVidia driver /dev/nvidia*.
>
> Use the lspci command to find out PCI BusId?
> <http://oldwiki.linux-vserver.org/BusId?action=edit> to be assigned
> for each Xorg-Desktop (seat).
>
> Use *lspci -X* to get a suitable format for use in xorg.conf. "
>
> I've come to the conclusion that my graphics card has BusID: PCI:0:2:0
> -- when I run 'lspci --vvv' I get the list of all PCI-devices, and I find:
>
> "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel corporation 82865G
> Integrated Graphivs Contr... "
>
> Should I then copy the device nodes from host to guest or should I
> just reference it in the guest's xorg.conf file (e.g. Driver "intel",
> BusID "PCI:0:2:0") ?

Not to play down the strengths of the excellent linux-vserver project,
but as Herbert asks: "What is your goal"? ie do remember that there are
some other virtualisation options which seem to work very nicely in
modern linux kernels, eg KVM.

I believe that running an X server in a guest requires some moderate
amount of fiddling to work optimally and from memory requires granting
some undesirable permissions to the guest? Running an X Session in a
guest on the other hand is very much simpler because it requires no
hardware access and is simply pushing the X protocol back to your X
server over the network (eg you can run lots of X Sessions in a client
and have those all pushed to your remote laptop)

Possibly this doesn't help... However, good luck!

Ed W