[vserver] TRIM, vhashify, SSD

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Tue 16 Mar 2010 - 12:54:22 GMT

I'm thinking about using an Intel 2nd gen 80 GByte
consumer SSD for vserver guests to minimize I/O
contention (right now I/O is the bottleneck for
single-spindle setups). I see no reason why
http://kernels.bristolwireless.net/ with ext4 wouldn't
support TRIM. An I correct that TRIM would work with
ext4?

Another question, is anyone running btrfs in production
with vserver? Anything bad/good?

The consumer flash is MLC, so it has about three orders
of magnitude less write endurance than SLC. Is it safe to
run monthly or weekly vhashify runs on guests, to reduce
their footprint on disk (since expensive) and on memory
(limited)? I'd like to save flash space, but not kill it
by wearing out by writing to it too much.

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org