Re: [vserver] number of vserver guests

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Sat 13 Mar 2010 - 15:55:50 GMT

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 05:22 +0000, ben@bristolwireless.net wrote:
> Quoting "Corey Wright" <undefined@pobox.com>:
>

> > 1255741670 M * Bertl good, so now your guests are unified ...
> > 1255741691 M * Bertl they will consume less disk space, less memory and run
> > faster overall
> >
> > from http://irc.13thfloor.at/LOG/2009-10/LOG_2009-10-17.txt
>
> It's true, the reduced memory comes as vhashify hardlinks identical
> files, so for example if you had 200 guests using _exactly the same_
> apache2 binary, it would only be loaded once, as it is hardlinked
> accross guests i.e. the same file.
<snip>
That's interesting. I'd like to pursue this a bit, if I may because
that's what I originally expected in VServer but I don't think it is
what I am seeing. For example, we are running many vservers with KDE
desktops. I was expecting that since they are all looking at the same
hardlinked X and KDE files,memory usage would be minimal. However, we
see each vserver consuming between 500MB and 1GB of RAM (from
vserver-stat).

Our observation is only that; we are not yet at the point in the project
where we are analyzing where all the memory is going but we would have
expected one instance of 500MB to 1GB and the rest only holding user
data. Again, no need to spend a lot of time on it as we have not yet
done our homework but any initial thoughts? Thanks - John