Re: [vserver] Atom D510 / SuperServer 5015A-PHF

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Fri 05 Mar 2010 - 23:45:13 GMT

On 05/03/2010 12:19, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Since Sun no longer makes cheap X2100 M2 (speaking of which,
> anyone aware of anyone selling decent AMD or Intel single
> socket quad cores with ECC memory and IPMI?) I've been looking
> at SuperMicro 5015A-PHF lately. It's not ECC, not super-powerful,
> but with 4 GByte RAM and a decent SSD it could probably host a
> few vservers. In terms of Ops/Joule it's probably even better
> than Opterons. At a price point of roughly 300 EUR and full
> IPMI it's hard to find anything comparable.
>
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015A-PHF.cfm
>
> Is it reasonable to assume that such a system could run
> about 40 mostly idling vserver guests at about 200 MByte
> memory footprint each, and 4 GByte filesystem footprint (on a 80
> GByte Intel 2nd gen consumer SSD, vhashify) each?

I think the Atom processors are fairly underpowered compared with even
an old school Celeron and certainly the Core X line? I believe they
have much shorter pipelines and small cache's - however, please check
anandtech and the likes for more accurate info...

I guess it depends on your budget, but the I3's are fairly inexpensive
and decent speeds? Probably even some slightly older boards which
support Core2 and pickup some processor off ebay? (I was looking at some
I3 supermicro stuff this week...)

Also remember that if you call the Dell business advisor, or your local
supermicro salesman (and presumably the HP, etc guys) then the prices
collapse compared with the list prices.

All the best

Ed W