[vserver] FUSE reFUSEs to install

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Fri 15 Jan 2010 - 10:09:45 GMT

Hello, all. We are trying to install a Debian Lenny vserver on a CentOS
5.4 host running a custom kernel - 2.6.28.7-vs2.3.0.36.7. We are trying
to install fuse-utils and sshfs for use wit X2Go (a great project for
those unfamiliar with it - www.x2go.org). We keep getting:

Setting up fuse-utils (2.7.4-1.1) ...
creating fuse group...
udev active, skipping device node creation.
udev requires a mounted sysfs, not started. failed!
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript udev, action "reload" failed.
dpkg: error processing fuse-utils (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sshfs:
 sshfs depends on fuse-utils (>= 2.7); however:
  Package fuse-utils is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing sshfs (--configure):
 fuse-utils
 sshfs

In the past, we simply created the fuse device manually and added
SECURE_MOUNT
SECURE_REMOUNT
BINARY_MOUNT
to ccapabilities

Short of giving SYS_ADMIN and running udev, how do we get this to work?
Thanks - John