Re: [vserver] About Ubuntu Karmic Koala ...

From: Dragan Saraginov <dragan_at_saraginov.com>
Date: Wed 02 Dec 2009 - 11:41:22 GMT

I am sorry for the delayed answer. Thanks for trying to help me. The
answers are inline with text.

> Dragan Saraginov wrote:
>> I followed the instructions described at
>> http://linux-vserver.org/Upstart_issues and upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10
>> went fine. But there is an issue with starting cron daemon. The
>> 'service crond restart' complains about not being able to connect to
>> '/com/ubuntu/upstart'
>
> Some questions if you're using 2.6.22.19-vs2.2.0.7:
>
> Did you patch the guest's upstart as described in the wiki?

Yes, I did that.

> Do you have a /sbin/init process with pid 1 within your guest?

Yes, I have, but it seems it has been virtual process.

> Did you restart the guest after the upgrade, and more important,
> is the running init process provided by the old sysv-init or by upstart?

I tried restarting the VPS with plain as style, but I was unable to do so.
Then I removed the style file from the guest's configuration and I
succeeded to restart the guest without an error (means that the guest has
been started by using 'sysv (default)' style). Next I entered inside the
guest and noticed that the 'cron' daemon is not started. I tried to
restart this daemon, but I did not succeed.

> Note that upstart's /sbin/init creates a private dbus socket at
> /com/ubuntu/upstart, which is used by the upstart tools if invoked as
> root. If you want to query upstart about anything as a non-root user,
> you need dbus-daemon to do access control.
>
> By the way, the default cron daemon service is simply called "cron".

Sorry, for that. Yes, I meant 'cron'.

TIA,

Dragan Saragin

believed to be clean.