[vserver] dynamic memory limits for vserver-guests?

From: Jarry <mr.jarry_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed 28 Oct 2009 - 20:58:25 GMT

Hi,

I have set up memory limits for all my vserver-guests with
rlimits/rss.soft and rss.hard. Now sometimes I hit on memory
limits, e.g. when compilling gcc (which I do quite frequently
because all my guests are gentoo).

But I can not increase memory limits for all vserver-guests,
because when counted together, it would be more than physical
memory + swap of my vserver-host.

So my question is:
Is it possible to set those limits dynamically? What I mean
is something similar as for cpu-time: to grant a guest certain
memory, and in addition, some common "memory-pool" from which
any guest could grab memory, if needed. And if "memory-pool"
is empty, a guest does not get any extra memory.

Jarry