Re: [vserver] default ulimits

From: Corin Langosch <corinl_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed 23 Sep 2009 - 14:48:55 BST

On 23.09.2009 11:49, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> let's remove the /etc/vservers/vs15780/ulimits/* for
> a test, restart the guest, ssh into it and do:
>
> ulimit -Ha
> ulimit -Sa
>
> this should give you huge numbers for the hard limits
> and reasonable values for the soft limits, note that
> once the hard limit is lowered, you cannot raise it
> inside a guest, e.g.:
>
> lenny:~# ulimit -H -n 8192
> lenny:~# ulimit -H -n 16384
> -bash: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

You are right, it seems to be a problem of my shell or ssh daemon
setting lower limits. When I enter the vserver from the host using
"vserver ... enter", the limits are very high and I can change them to
ex. 8192. But when I connect to the guest using ssh, the limit is 1024
and so I can't set it to 8192.

I don't know where these limits come from: the shell, the ssh daemon...
My work around for now is simply to start the programs with the higher
limits from the boot scripts (/etc/init.d) only. To restart them, I have
to restart the vserver or enter the vserver from the host and do the
restart.

Corin