Re: [vserver] Up-to-date stable version?

From: Jeffrey 'jf' Lim <jfs.world_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue 11 Aug 2009 - 14:56:41 BST

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 9:29 PM, John A. Sullivan III <
jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 21:04 +0800, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
> > wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 05:02:13PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III
> > wrote:

> > boxes, it's

> > should I use

> > scanning
> > a simple

> > ancient

> > vs2.3.0.36.14, which is
> > shouldn't use it

> > useable in
> > it called
> >

> > > Funny, I was looking at this today as I need to rebuild one
> > of our
> > > vserver hosts. We've been using kernel 2.6.28 and 29.
> > We've had a few
> > > issues - a nasty kernel bug in both that occasionally
> > requires a cold
> > > boot (!) and constant segfaults in OSSEC. We've needed to
> > be on those
> > > kernels because of even worse problems with iSCSI in older
> > kernels and
> > > we've learned to avoid the hang problem. It still scares
> > the living
> > > daylights out of me and we are eagerly awaiting 2.6.30 which
> > apparently
> > > fixes this bug. However, when I mouse over the link to
> > 2.6.30.1 +
> > > vs2.3.0.36.14, it still says pre3 so I am assuming it is not
> > yet ready
> > > for even daring production. Is that true? Thanks - John
> >

> > the person supposed to update (i.e. volunteered to maintain
> > the
> > list on the wiki) obviously didn't do so for some time now,
> > and therefore it would be good to read the 'red note' above
> > the
> > experimental matrix and check out:
> >
> > http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/
> >
> > that's great - except that this is merely a list of files without that
> > info which says while patch is "development", vs "experimental"?
> > Obviously, it's great to have access here (damn the outdated list!!!),
> > but I think we probably need more help here...
> >
> > -jf
> >
> I think Herbert and Daniel are focused on code (as they should be).

yeah, that's fine. I was only talking about information regarding what is
... well, "the list". What is considered "stable", what is "development",
and what is "experimental"... And yes, this ties in to the bigger scheme of
"documentation", although this was not my intention (to refer to this).

Testing wise, i could spare some time + effort for testing, no problem
(preferably with some kind of a testing checklist!).

-jf