Re: [vserver] syslog-ng not starting in guest...

From: Olav Schwering <osch_at_talk4fun.de>
Date: Tue 23 Jun 2009 - 18:46:12 BST

Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> Jarry wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just noticed that syslog-ng is (probably) not running
>> in any of my guests! When I enter guest and issue "ps -e",
>> I do not see syslog-ng running. The same with "vps" issued
>> in host, it shows only one syslog-ng, running on host.
>> So I entered guest, tried to start it manually, but I got
>>
>> web / # /etc/init.d/syslog-ng start
>> * WARNING: syslog-ng has already been started
>>
>> OK, so let's try to restart it (just to be sure):
>> web / # /etc/init.d/syslog-ng stop
>> * Stopping syslog-ng... [ ok ]
>> web / # /etc/init.d/syslog-ng start
>> * Starting syslog-ng...
>> * Failed to start syslog-ng [ !! ]
>> * ERROR: syslog-ng failed to start
>
> Does your syslog-ng configuration have /proc/kmsg in it?
> Because that's not going to work.

Jarry,

take a look into /etc/init.d/syslog and get rid of all kernel logger
entries:

echo -n $"Starting kernel logger: "
deamon klogd $KLOGD_OPTIONS
echo

That should solve your syslog-ng problems. I had to do it on my CentOS
4.x installation to. Is the same for all RedHat source systems...

Cheers

                        OLAV