Re: [vserver] Experimental Branch usable in production?

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Thu 18 Jun 2009 - 12:29:45 BST

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 09:50 +0200, randall wrote:
> Oliver Welter wrote:
> >
> hi there,
>
> i'm currently using the stock Debian Lenny version and have not
> experienced any stability or other issues the last few months.
>

> 2.6.26+17 2.3.0.35
> util-vserver: 0.30.216-pre2772;
>
> there seem to be some issues mentioned on the wiki with this kernel, not
> sure if its debian specific.
>
> http://linux-vserver.org/Installation_on_Debian#Issues_with_the_current_2.6.26_Kernel

There are some issues which more experienced folks than I pointed out to
me on this list. We are required to use newer kernels (I believe >=.26)
because of a serious bug in iSCSI in earlier kernels. However, in
both .27 and .28, we have picked up an extremely serious bug that has me
eagerly awaiting stable vserver for .29. Every once and a while, a
process sends the CPU into some kind of loop. The process cannot be
killed. The only option is a reboot of the vserver host, not the
individual vserver. We saw this regularly with the OSSEC rootkit
product but it is not specific to OSSEC; we did see one other non-OSSEC
instance - John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation