Re: [vserver] Multiple visible IPs per guest

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Wed 27 May 2009 - 04:03:28 BST

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 19:54 -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 16:49 -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> >> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip >
> >>
> >> John, Xavier;
> >>
> >> Thanks for the input.
> >>
> >> I need to try a couple of the things you mentioned and suggested to see
> >> how they affect my normal operations. I've been using the alias to
> >> make tracking the guests' IPs simplier. I haven't found or figured out
> >> a method to query a guest for its IPs. Did miss this somewhere in the
> >> docs or wiki?
> >>
> >> I'm assuming that without a name/alias all works fine. The Vserver
> >> utils and the magic that is the Linux networking know which IP goes to
> >> which guest.
> >>
> >> I really need to learn more about iproute2 and friends. :-)
> >>
> >> Again thanks.
> >>

> >> \\||/
> >> Rod
> > Hi, Rod. I'm not entirely sure of what you mean by querying a guest for
> > its IPs. I normally use the ip command (ip add ls) so you could do
> > something like:
> >
> > vserver <guestname> exec ip add ls
>
> Ahhh! I didn't think of using exec. Normally I'd do an ip addr ls from
> the host and look/grep for the alias (eth0:ns3ts).
>
> Thanks for the help getting out of the box. :-)
>

> \\||/
> Rod
No problem. By the way, there is a pretty antiquated but hopefully
still useful slide show tutorial on iproute2 on the ISCS network
security management project web site in the tutorial section on the left
side of the page (http://iscs.sourceforge.net) - John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation