Re: [vserver] vhashify not working? - 2.6.27.14-vs2.3.0.36.4

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Thu 02 Apr 2009 - 13:36:40 BST

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 13:04 +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 09:41:06AM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 08:40 +0000, Christoph Lukas wrote:
>
> [stuff zapped]
>
> > Yes, the numbers match and they also match the size of the space
> > consumed on the thinly provisioned ZFS zvol on which they reside
> > (28.1 GB):
>
> there is no attribute support for ZFS, and thus
> there is no barrier and no CoW-link breaking
> available either ... your options are:
>
> - sponsor development for ZFS/xattrs
> - have immutable hardlinks without CoW link breaking
> - move to a supported filesystem
>
> best,
> Herbert
<snip>
Thanks, Herbert, but the files aren't sitting on ZFS. I wasn't as clear
as I should be. ZFS is the underlying file store on the SAN but it
exporting block devices to VServer which are formatted as ext3 - sort of
like a block image file in KVM. All the vservers are sitting in the
same pseudo block device and all as ext3. I wouldn't think that would
ZFS would come into play but, as I said, I know little of the internals
- John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation