Re: [vserver] vhashify not working? - 2.6.27.14-vs2.3.0.36.4

From: John A. Sullivan III <jsullivan_at_opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Tue 31 Mar 2009 - 15:10:49 BST

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 14:02 +0000, Christoph Lukas wrote:
> [..]
>
> > > Thank you, Christoph. The commands show plenty of both types of files
> > >
> > > Are you sure that your measurements of disk usage are correct?
> > > Do the 20 GB disk usage correspond with the df output on the /vservers
> > > partition?
> > >
> > > du -sch /vservers/*
> > >
> > > should notice multiple hardlinks and count them only once.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Christoph
> > >

> > Yes, the numbers match and they also match the size of the space
> > consumed on the thinly provisioned ZFS zvol on which they reside (28.1
> > GB):
> > [root@vd01 ~]# du -sch /vservers/*
> > 4.4G /vservers/cle
> > 2.2G /vservers/gssstation
> > 2.2G /vservers/jasstation
> > 1.4G /vservers/jintra
> > 16K /vservers/lost+found
> > 1.4G /vservers/mintra
> > 1.4G /vservers/mlapo
> > 1.4G /vservers/simple
> > 1.4G /vservers/smcc
> > 1.4G /vservers/tkee
> > 1.4G /vservers/tvan
> > 1.4G /vservers/vdb
> > 1.9G /vservers/vdb2
> > 1.4G /vservers/vde
> > 1.1M /vservers/vetc
> > 23G total
> >
> > I am guessing this may also affect my memory usage. Does VServer use
> > the hashify information to determine whether a binary being called into
> > memory already exists? Thanks - John
>
> After unification identical binaries in different vservers are hardlinks
> to the same inode. Therefore they are the same file / binary from a
> kernel perspective and can reuse cache and memory.
>
> If your memory usage will be lower with unification depends on if all
> the running binaries are unified or not.
>
> Regards,
> Christoph

Thanks, that what I thought so this is actually a pretty big issue for
us as we are looking to shoe horn hundreds of guests into our fairly
large servers. Our challenge is balancing disk, CPU, RAM, and network
I/O. I think resolving this would work to greatly optimize the first
and third factors and I suppose even the third as these devices are
iSCSI attached and we'd have less disk I/O with fewer files loading into
memory. I'm really quite ignorant of kernel internals and new to
vserver so any help is greatly appreciated - John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation