Re: [vserver] Vserver kernel support

From: Corey Wright <undefined_at_pobox.com>
Date: Mon 16 Jun 2008 - 04:53:53 BST

not necessarily directed towards nikolay, but just picking up this thread
with the latest reply i found in my mail reader (ie his).

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:56:54 +0300
Nikolay Kichukov <hijacker@oldum.net> wrote:

> Someone on IRC once advised that 2.6.25 would not be very well
> integrated with vserver. So we are better of waiting until 2.6.26 ;-)

just noticed from debian's new package list [1] (really the corresponding
rss feed [2]), that debian has enabled vserver builds for kernel 2.6.25.
from the build log [3] it appears they are using vs2.3.0.34.11, presumable
from herbert's experimental patches [4].

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/main/newpkg
[2] http://packages.debian.org/sid/main/newpkg?format=rss
[3]
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=linux-2.6;ver=2.6.25-5;arch=amd64;stamp=1213288874
[4] http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/

i only refer to debian's choice of vserver patches because i use it
as a vote of confidence and presume that somebody has done due-diligence and
it's not totally borked. i'll test it on my workstation, but won't put it
into "production" on my server (though i might need to on a new server
for reasons of hardware support only found in kernels more recent than
2.6.22)

> Me myself use debian testing and always compile my own kernel from
> eu.kernel.org with the latest experimental patches.

on my workstation, for occasional testing purposes, i use whatever debian
testing has available (and for 2.6.25 that seems to be experimental,
assuming it eventually migrates to testing/lenny). on my server i use the
latest stable patch and matching vanilla kernel.

> I enjoy the vserver project.

it enables some extremely beneficial functionality (user-land
virtualization and separation, besides security).

corey

--
undefined@pobox.com