Re: [vserver] Suggestion: don't mount 16 MB tmpfs into /tmp per default

From: Ben Green <ben_at_bristolwireless.net>
Date: Wed 14 May 2008 - 08:57:20 BST

On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:30:55 +0100, Patrick Nagel <patrick.nagel@star-group.net> wrote:

> In my opinion, this default setting has too much potential of causing
> (sometimes hard-to-debug) trouble. The few Linux-VServer users who run 100+
> installations should be able to figure out on their own that they should put
> guest's /tmp into a ramdisk, if a lot of accesses to /tmp cause performance
> issues.
>Patrick.

Perhaps this is a person thing, but I haven't found this issue hard to debug. Checking the state of mounted file systems should be one of the first ports of call when issues arrise. A low size for /tmp means that these issues turn up sooner rather than later, which is much better IMHO. TMPFS is the superior FS for the job.

The problem I have had is that clamav doesn't work on Debian with this /tmp size, as it needs space to unpack deffinitions IIRC.

--
 From Ben Green