Re: [vserver] Newbei's questions

From: Stephen Liu <satimis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu 24 Apr 2008 - 13:50:37 BST

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your further advice.

- snip -

> > Actually what I want to achieve is;
> >
> > Running mail server on Host OS
> > Running web server on Guest OS
> A more normal set up would be to run all services on guests and keep
> the
> host for admin. The reason is that if the host is compromised, so
> are
> all guests (but not vica versa), so it makes sense to minimise the
> number of services / amount of use of the host.

If I understand your advice correctly, to run all servers, such as
mail, web, etc. as guest. Then what shall I run on the host? Just
leaving it as a workstation for admin? If I'm wrong please correct me.
 Thanks

- snip -

> > This is my problem. If w/o a solution then
> > I must run both web and mail servers on the Host.
> With vserver you can share filespace between guests and between guest
> and host, one solution would be to share the mail spool / homespace
> between the web and mail servers.

Whether to have /home of the host in a separated partition so that the
guests can share it? Would there be any problem on installing the
guest OS to have their /home pointing to /home of the host?

> Another option would be to run the webserver for the webmail on a
> different port. Personally, I wouldn't use a webmail service that
> didn't run over SSL, so why not run two web servers, one on the same
> (logical) server as the mail server running webmail on port 443 w/
> SSL
> and one in a separate (logical) server running the rest of the web
> apps
> on port 80. If you wanted to make things more transparent you could
> add
> the appropriate vhost record to the web server on port 80 so that it
> redirects http://webmail.example.com to https://webmail.example.com

Could you please provide more detial how to achieve your suggested
setup. TIA

B.R.
Stephen L