[vserver] Problem with 'ps' [Was: Postfix or amavis troubles ...]

From: Gilles Sadowski <gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org>
Date: Wed 23 Apr 2008 - 12:01:02 BST

> > P.S. Still no luck with "ps" though...

> what problem do you have with "ps"?

Thanks for coming back to that issue.
Here attached, the messages which I had sent previously.

Best,
Gilles

attached mail follows:

Hi again.

Upgrading to kernel 2.6.24.4 patched with vs2.3.0.34, 'ps' (or 'top') does
not work anymore when run inside a vserver. That is upon hitting return
after having typed 'ps', the command seems to hang: Nothing is printed
back on the terminal, and (one of) the CPU is reported (by gkrellm) to work
at full load.

Even stranger, the same command sometimes does print something back,
indefinitely filling the terminal (until I hit Ctrl-C) by repeating
the same lines (which seemingly are partly the expected result of 'ps').

As in my previous post, rebooting in kernel 2.6.22, 'ps' behaves nicely.

Does someone have a clue as to what causes this?

Thanks,
Gilles

attached mail follows:

> > Upgrading to kernel 2.6.24.4 patched with vs2.3.0.34, 'ps' (or 'top') does
> > not work anymore when run inside a vserver. That is upon hitting return
> > after having typed 'ps', the command seems to hang: Nothing is printed
> > back on the terminal, and (one of) the CPU is reported (by gkrellm) to
> > work
> > at full load.
> >
> > Even stranger, the same command sometimes does print something back,
> > indefinitely filling the terminal (until I hit Ctrl-C) by repeating
> > the same lines (which seemingly are partly the expected result of 'ps').
> >
> > As in my previous post, rebooting in kernel 2.6.22, 'ps' behaves nicely.
> >
> > Does someone have a clue as to what causes this?
>
> Which init style are you using? The 2.6.24 patches are highly
> experimental, and fakeinit is one of the things known to be broken...

# cat /etc/vservers/mail/apps/init/style
plain

Best,
Gilles