Re: [vserver] max physical memory / mixing 32bit / 64bit

From: Bruno <bonbons67_at_internet.lu>
Date: Thu 17 Apr 2008 - 18:24:39 BST

On Thursday 17 April 2008 19:04:17 Oliver Welter wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am currently running four small pizzaboxes with 32bit pentiums and
> 2-4Gig of Ram each which is doing pretty fine.
>
> I want to replace those boxes with one bigger box, discussion is on a
> Dual CPU Xeon Box with 32Gig RAM.
>
> 1) Is it possible at all, and if so, what do I loose when I run the old
> 32bit guests on a 64bit Host?
>
> 2) Are there any limits regarding memory consumption of a single guest?
>
> regards
>
> Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Running 32bit guests on 64bit host does not cause any special problem. It's
the same as running 32bit userspace on 64bit kernel (vserver isolation put
apart)

Unless you have memory hog applications running inside the guest (each 32bit
process being limited to 32bit address space) there is no benefit in
switching the guests to 64bit. (the guests will even be a little bit less
memory hungry as most datatypes are 32bit instead of 64bit)

Just make sure you enable support for 32bit ELF binaries when you compile your
kernel.

You can also mix 32bit and 64bit guests on your 64bit host kernel (wether host
userspace is 32bit, 64bit or multilib=mixture makes no difference)

regards,
Bruno