Re: [vserver] Guest network interface gone

From: Thomas Weber <l_vserver_at_mail2news.4t2.com>
Date: Fri 14 Mar 2008 - 18:59:16 GMT

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 14.03.2008, 17:37 +0000 schrieb
Chris.Leeworthy@corusgroup.com:

> There was a network failure, which was fixed within a few minutes and the
> host machine re-established network comms without a problem. However the
> vserver guest that was running did not.

Is your Network interface on the host handled by some udev/hotplug stuff
which tries to (re)configure your Network everytime it detects a change
in the link status (plug/unplug your network cable)? (I don't know/use
Mandriva).
I could imagine that this is your problem. You should then configure the
host interface statically - so it stays with it's assigned config, no
matter if the link goes up or down.

> We are using kernel-vserver-2.6.19.1-1mdv built on Mandriva 2008 64 bit
> edition.
>
> When I got into the guest an ifconfig returned no information.

You usually only get limited information - restricted to the IP(s) you
assigned to that guest.
If you 'pull away' the whole interface in the host while the vserver
guest is running i guess everything bound to that interface in the guest
will vanish too. Bringing the interface back up in the host wont set up
the guests interfaces, which is usually done by vserver xxx start.

> I attempted to restart the network and got the following errors
>
> [root@XXXXXXXXXXX /]# service network restart
> Shutting down loopback interface: [ OK ]
> error: "Operation not permitted" setting key "net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies"
> Bringing up loopback interface: Device lo does not seem to be present,
> delaying initialization.
> [FAILED]
> Bringing up interface eth0: bnx2 device eth0 does not seem to be present,
> delaying initialization.
> [FAILED]

without enabling special capabilities for the guest, the guest is not
permitted to bring up or configure interfaces - which usually is what
you want.

> The only way to get the guest to 'see' the network again was to restart it.

yep. because the start scripts setup the interfaces.

> Is there some way I can persuade the guest to recover after the network has
> been interrupted and returned or am I stuck with restarting the vservers
> after a network outage?

If my assumption about the hotplug/udev stuff i right, just configure
your host statically and your done.

  Tom