Re: [vserver] Have I created guest's lo correctly ?

From: Declan Mullen <declan_at_jadplace.com>
Date: Mon 25 Feb 2008 - 02:41:58 GMT

Declan Mullen wrote:
> Assuming that for vserver 2.0, it isn't possible for a guest to have a
> 127.0.0.1 ip address that is not shared with the host, does vserver
> 2.2 allow this (even if within the kernel it is mapped to some other
> ip address or interface) ? If vserver 2.2 does allow this, then how
> should I create it ?
In my first attempts to create a 127.0.0.1 "lo" interface for my guest,
I made a big mistake. My mistake was to rename the default interface
"/etc/vservers/<guest>/interfaces/0" to "1" and then create the
127.0.0.1 "lo" interface as "0". I should not have renamed the default
interface and instead I should have created the 127.0.0.1 "lo" interface
as "1". Now that I've done that, within the guest 127.0.0.1 is now
redirected to the default interface via the kernel and is no longer
shared with the host's 127.0.0.1. I'm now very happy :).

Many thanks to Daniel Hokka Zakrisson for telling me that the guest's
127.0.0.1 is redirected to the "first" interface. Apologies, but it took
me a while to realise the significance of the word "first".

Many thanks to Peter Mann for bringing Debian backports to my attention,
from where I got vserver 2.2 for Debian's Etch.

All the best,
Declan