RE: [vserver] OLPC and VServer

From: Ng, Cheon-woei <cheon-woei.ng_at_intel.com>
Date: Fri 04 Jan 2008 - 22:56:50 GMT

Thank you for answering my questions!

Sincerely,
Cheon-Woei Ng

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert Poetzl [mailto:herbert@13thfloor.at]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 2:15 PM
To: Ng, Cheon-woei
Cc: vserver@list.linux-vserver.org
Subject: Re: [vserver] OLPC and VServer

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 09:35:07AM -0800, Ng, Cheon-woei wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> According to the item 12 of OLPC News from 2007-11-03 at
>

> https://mailman2.grnet.gr/pipermail/olpc/2007-November/000484.html
> <https://mailman2.grnet.gr/pipermail/olpc/2007-November/000484.html> ,
> OLPC is removing VServer kernel patches from their Update 1 build.
>
> The full text of item 12 is as followed:
>
> 12. Kernel: Andres Salomon spent Sunday through Tuesday hunting down a
> bizarre bug that turned out to be something in the kernel scheduler.
> He ran out of time for debugging, but signs were pointing to it being
> a vserver bug. The instability of the VServer kernel patches has made
> us remove this from our builds for Update.1. We will likely revisit
> use of light-weight containerization for security in future releases.
> We are pursuing alternate approaches to activity isolation for our
> first releases.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Are those bugs being solved?

the 'bug' was never verified and/or reported to
the Linux-VServer community

> 2. Is OLPC still actively working with Vserver team?

not at the moment, and as Ivan Krstic confirmed
the decision to remove Linux-VServer code was
a political one

> 3. What are the bugs that make Vserver unstable in OLPC?

I have no idea, and I doubt that it actually was
the Linux-VServer code which caused whatever bug
Andres was seeing ...

> 4. Is it true that it is very difficult to debug the
> kernel patch's codes?

I should be easy to track down and fix any code
OLPC was using, but as I wrote above, there was
no interest in fixing that issue (from the OLPC
side) because the decision to use other security
mechanisms (like SELinux) was already made

> Thanks!

HTC,
Herbert