Re: [vserver] chrooted rssh inside a vserver

From: Jean-François Leroux <leroux.jeanfrancois_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun 02 Dec 2007 - 17:29:43 GMT

Hi Herbert,
Thanks for your answer.

> what exactly fails there?

I get a 'connection closed' as soon as I try to connect via sftp or
scp (which are allowed in rss.conf in the vserver, of course). When I
comment out the "chroot = dir" option, which defines where the chroot
dir is located, everything's fine.

So, I googled and found that some libraries might be missing inside
the chroot (as shown in the gentoo rssh chroot howto, for example). I
added them, with no avail.

> hmm, interesting ... chroot() is a kernel syscall,
> so it should not require any extra libraries ...

I followed this howto :
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_SFTP_Server_(chrooted,_without_shell)

> chroots inside guests work perfectly fine, if you
> need devices inside the chroot (should not be the
> case for most services) pre-create them (the secure
> ones) by copying them from the guest's /dev dir
> (on the host)

I tried that also, and it still doesn't work for me :(

What's strange is that rssh works fine as long as I don't try and
chroot it (either with sftp or scp). But as soon as I try and use the
chroot feature, it stops working... So I guess there's something wrong
with my chroot jail.
But since you say chroot works inside a vserver, I might try to use it
without rssh...