Re: [vserver] how to backup / migrate a vserver?

From: Oliver Welter <mail_at_oliwel.de>
Date: Tue 23 Oct 2007 - 15:06:49 BST

Hi Allen

> I’m looking into using vservers in order to do server replication and
> failover. I have a couple of questions that I couldn’t find in the
> online docs:
>
> 1. How to do a complete backup up of a vserver from the host? Is it
> just a matter of backing up the /etc/vservers/<vservername>
> directory?
> 2. How to migrate a vserver to another host? Just copy
> /etc/vservers/<vservername> to the new host?

This is the config data, in addition you need the stuff under
/vservers/, but thats all. When copying a running server keep in mind
that there might be open files and unflushed memory. I personally use
drbd to replicate the data in /vservers in real-time which works like a
charm

> 3. Are the list archives searchable? It would make answering
> questions like this a bit easier.
There is an archive at http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/archives/ and
you might search it using google - I am not aware of any other solution

Oliver

--
Protect your environment -  close windows and adopt a penguin!
PGP-Key: 3B2C 8095 A7DF 8BB5 2CFF  8168 CAB7 B0DD 3985 1721