Re: [vserver] ipvsadm and ip_forward

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 05 Oct 2007 - 14:32:36 BST

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 05:40:06PM -0600, Dennis Muhlestein wrote:
> I'm working on an experiment to see if I can install Linux-HA software
> on a vserver guest. I've modifed the vserver guest so that HIDE_NETIF
> is taken away and NET_RAW and NET_ADMIN capbabilities are give. I
> also set net.ipv4.ip_forward in the sysctl for that guest.
>
> Things seem to work OK for ipvsadm. Heartbeat can bring up and take
> down interfaces across my two guests (different machines).
>
> When I try to connect to the ip address that ipvsadm is managing,
> packets are received at the real server but no response is received at
> the client. I'm not sure if I have a ipvs problem or if there is some
> other problem with doing this on linux-vserver.

is the guest aware if that address at service bind time?

> Has anyone done this?

no, why do you try to put the HA stuff into a guest?
HA setups on the host (for guests) are known to work
perfectly fine, including complete guest failovers

> Perhaps someone can point me in the correct direction for how
> to resolve this.

I guess we need more details here, like the kernel
or Linux-VServer version and of course, what heartbeat
actually does in your failover case ...