Re: [vserver] 2.6.18-5 debian vserver doesn't boot on Xeon+Intel Server Board

From: David A. Bandel <david.bandel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue 02 Oct 2007 - 00:48:28 BST

On 10/1/07, Konstantinos Pachopoulos <kostaspaxos@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> Hi,
> i have a Xeon on an Intel SE7520BD2 board. The
> motherboard has EFI -the "next generation BIOS...",
> however EFI has legacy support for the classical
> bootloaders and the MBRs. I have confirmed this by
> sometimes getting Grub errors, when editing the
> configuration file; that means that Grub is executed.
>
> I have installed Debian Etch 2.6.18-5-amd64 on
> /dev/sda or the first SCSI drive otherwise (on an
> Adaptec card) and runs OK. The only problem is that
> the booting output (the dmesg output) cannot be seen
> in the beginning -blank screen; i only see the last
> lines and the line asking for the username. I do not
> know why this happens.

your video driver module is apparently not getting loaded until late
in the boot process -- this should not happen.

> I then installed 2.6.18-5-vserver-amd64 -did "apt-get
> install vserver-utils linux-image-2.6.18-5
> -vserver-amd64"- on the same drive, the grub
> configuration file (menu.lst) got automatically
> updated, i edited the conf file changing the default
> booting kernel to the vserver one and i rebooted the
> system. After rebooting i ended up waiting on a blank
> screen. I am still waiting...

are you using FB (vga=???)

you should still be able to ssh into the system.

> I suspect it has to do with missing modules, SCSI,
> vserver kernel constraints, etc. In which way is the
> default vserver kernel different than the non-vserver
> one? Will i have to create an image on my own?

the config files are in /boot, just diff them, but I suspect the only
difference you'll see is the vserver modules. Look at the size of the
initrd files. The vserver should be just slightly larger due to the
extra vserver modules. It is possible, however, to open those files
and actually look at the various modules to see if one or more is
missing from the -vserver kernel.

And you're not using 2.6.21 (the testing kernel) because?

> I am in deep water; any ideas appreciated!

> Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it
> now.
> http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

David A. Bandel

            - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto