Re: [vserver] 2.6.18-5 debian vserver doesn't boot on Xeon+Intel Server Board

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 01 Oct 2007 - 16:52:33 BST

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 03:25:42PM +0100, Konstantinos Pachopoulos wrote:
> Hi,
> i have a Xeon on an Intel SE7520BD2 board. The
> motherboard has EFI -the "next generation BIOS...",
> however EFI has legacy support for the classical
> bootloaders and the MBRs. I have confirmed this by
> sometimes getting Grub errors, when editing the
> configuration file; that means that Grub is executed.
>
> I have installed Debian Etch 2.6.18-5-amd64 on
> /dev/sda or the first SCSI drive otherwise (on an
> Adaptec card) and runs OK. The only problem is that
> the booting output (the dmesg output) cannot be seen
> in the beginning -blank screen; i only see the last
> lines and the line asking for the username. I do not
> know why this happens.
>
> I then installed 2.6.18-5-vserver-amd64 -did "apt-get
> install vserver-utils linux-image-2.6.18-5
> -vserver-amd64"- on the same drive, the grub
> configuration file (menu.lst) got automatically
> updated, i edited the conf file changing the default
> booting kernel to the vserver one and i rebooted the
> system. After rebooting i ended up waiting on a blank
> screen. I am still waiting...
>
> I suspect it has to do with missing modules, SCSI,
> vserver kernel constraints, etc. In which way is the
> default vserver kernel different than the non-vserver
> one? Will i have to create an image on my own?

well, the vserver patch doesn't change the config
in any way (at least not in a way relevant to your
problem :) so it purely depends on what config the
debian folks used to build that kernel, but I doubt
that it will be very different from the mainline
one ...

if your machine requires special handling (e.g. in
the initramfs/initrd, then you probably modified
that in some way, and you probably need to do the
same for the new kernel), otherwise I would suspect
a bug in the debian update mechanisms ...

anyway, you should get some kind of output on the
(serial) console if the actual kernel boot fails,
a 'black' screen usually points to a problem before
the kernel was actually booted ...

> I am in deep water; any ideas appreciated!

I would first try to select the old kernel via
the grub shell, and see if that boots fine, if
so, I would continue comparing the initramfs and
maybe later on the kernel config ...

HTH,