Re: [vserver] transfer a vserver guest to a PC and create a full system on the latter

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Mon 03 Sep 2007 - 06:08:01 BST

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 11:27:02PM +0300, Konstantinos Pachopoulos wrote:

> i don't know, but maybe instead of "transfer" the term is "migrate"... I
> am temporarily setting up a vserver for a specific task, but i have
> ordered a brand new server. I'd like instead of setting up the whole
> system on the server from ground up, to move the guest to the server and

Either tar or rsync (on a halted server, preferrably) should work.
Haven't had any problem that way.

> "create" a full system/installation on the server. Of course both the
> vserver guest and the new server are Debian-AMD64 based -the same

A nice machine is a SunFire X2100 M2 -- it has an onboard processor
(SMDC, IPMI 2.0) which allows you to completely control the hardware
remotely, including reinstalling from remote media or .iso

On the minus side, the hardware is PC (=crap).

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl http://leitl.org