[vserver] vserver hostnames

From: David Bandel <david.bandel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat 25 Aug 2007 - 16:40:25 BST

Folks,

I've run vservers before and have decided I need to go back to them to
better manage some things. However, I seem to be running into a small
snag.

Before, I had several guests running on one host, but now it appears
I'm having a clash. What I need to do (and I'm sure I had this
previously):

vservers:
mail.abc.com
mail.xyz.com

When I create the first guest, all is well. I then move mail to abc
changing mail in /var/lib/vservers (mv'ing the directory name), and
changing /etc/vservers/mail to /etc/vservers/abc, and also changing
the appropriate links int /etc/vservers/.defaults, and the entries in
/etc/vservers/abc/uts/nodename and /etc/vservers/abc/hostname.

Creating the second guest works, but entering the first guest now
shows me the name is abc.abc.com. If I don't change the nodename, I
get the error mail is running.

Is there any solution to this dilemna that will allow me to run
various "mail" servers under different domain names?

The FAQ, docs, and tutorials all seem to assume you'll only run
systems with different hostnames under one domain. I need about 6
"mail" servers that are mail.domain.com as different domain names. I
need this so the servers reply as mail.abc|xyz.com

Can this be done? If so, how?

TIA,

David A. Bandel

            - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto