Re: [vserver] noatime and remount of underlying partition

From: Bruno <bonbons67_at_internet.lu>
Date: Thu 09 Aug 2007 - 17:20:37 BST

On Thursday 09 August 2007 09:44, Markus Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just observed the following and was curious whether this is by design:
>
> I remounted the partition, on which my vservers are, while some vservers
> were running, with "mount -o remount,noatime".
>
> But I only realized later that within a vserver, atime was still set on
> read-only access to files, I had to stop/start the vserver.
>
> Is this expected?
>
> thanks,
> - Markus

Hi,

Yes, this is expected as doing the mount -o remount on the host, you are just
touching the host's namespace, not the guest's namespace.

On guest startup each guest gets a "copy" of host namespace which is then
adjusted to the real needs of the guest (mount things
from /etc/vserver/.../fstab and removed all unused mounts inherited from
host)

You would have to switch over into each guest's namespace if you don't
want/can restart the guests.

best,
Bruno