Re: [Vserver] The $64,000 dollar question

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_acm.org>
Date: Thu 12 Jul 2007 - 01:08:27 BST

Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> Thanks to all for your help and suggestions on copying Vserver guests.
>> So far it has worked quite well.
>>

>> I'm now on to newer things which brings me to the "question." What
>> distribution should I use for the Host?
>>
>> With Daniel's excellent repository(s) I have been using Fedora Core 5.
>> I has been very stable and makes any work in the host easy. And then
>> the guests get FC5 which with vyum makes them very easy to to
>> maintain/enhance.
>> But I just went through a repository hell trying to update the host.
>> Not sure what was going on but I suspect that with FC5 at end-of-life
>> this will happen more often.
>
> "Repository hell"? Meaning what, exactly?

I was checking for updates "yum check-update" and got md5sum failure for
twenty plus "extras" repositories before I walked off to do something
else. Came back so 10 minutes or more later and the check was done.

>> So the big question is which (preferably YUM-able) distribution should I
>> use for the host? I'm currently thinking CentOS 5 as it has an
>> end-of-life in about 5 years. I hope to be retired by then. :-) Plus I
>> believe I read that it is actually supported in Daniel's repository.
>
> Unfortunately not, I haven't had enough round tuits lately, but you can
> use the FC6 kernel RPM (though that is not as updated as I'd like it to
> be, Fedora no longer updates the public tree) for now.

Year I know about that. I've been trying to figure out a way to
counterfeit or steal them. No luck so far.

>> And does it make sense to use an _older_ distribution in the guests
>> that don't change much?
>
> Sounds like the definition of an "enterprise"-distro, so CentOS should be
> fine there too...

Well I was thinking of the Fedora series. But I'm liking CentOD more
and more.

Rod