[Vserver] One More Time - copy a Guest from system to system

From: Roderick A. Anderson <raanders_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue 10 Jul 2007 - 19:01:39 BST

I've been all through the Wiki and old docs, searched using Google,
looked through my _OLD_ messages (back to 2003) and still can't come up
with a well defined method to copy a (running if possible) vserver guest
from one system to another.

 From my reading I think I need to build the _new_ guest 'mynewone'
using the skeleton method. Then rm all the files in /vserver/mynewone
and follow that with a rsync from the _old_ guest to the _new_ guest.
Unfortunately the vserver docs are from the CTX kernels. A vserver
--help gets a semi-useful help screen. Any newer docs?

What special rsync switches do I need or use to make this process
doable? As in it is a running guest that I'd prefer not taking down
until the actual move I'm sure /proc and maybe /dev could cause problems.

The need for the hot copy is because the _old_ guest has a big pile of
installed perl modules and _other_ software packages. It would be
easier to copy than (re)install them. :-)

Thanks for any help on this,
Rod