[Vserver] init-style gentoo with baselayout-1.13.0_alpha12

From: Marcus Mülbüsch <mmb1312_at_mark5.de>
Date: Wed 27 Jun 2007 - 15:58:46 BST

I have a Gentoo vserver set up with vserver-sources-2.2.0,
util-vserver-0.30.213 and baselayout-1.13.0_alpha12

Thus I can use the "gentoo" init-style. Fine so far. Building and using
that vserver is easy; I followed
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/vps/vserver-howto.xml almost exactly.

I want to start a daemon from inittab (in this case: monit), so it gets
respawned when dieing. Works fine with older gentoo vserver guests which
use the "plain" init style.

However, when inside a guest vserver with "gentoo" init style, there is
no seperate init process for each guest. So when I issue "init q" I get
a "init: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory".

I freely admit that I do not exactly know what I'm expected to do here. :-/

A few pointers on what I don't understand, how I can solve that problem,
or what I am to do instead of using inittab would be very appreciated.

Additionally, when stopping that vserver i still get the messages:

"Deactivating swap ...
Not superuser. "

and

"Unmounting /usr/portage/packages ...
umount2: Operation not permitted
umount: /usr/vservers/vpackages: not found
umount: /usr/portage/packages: must be superuser to umount"

I found a post on the archive where it says this is only cosmetical. But
still, it is a bit annoying.

Marcus