Re: [Vserver] Abnormal NFS behaviour

From: Jim Wight <j.k.wight_at_ncl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed 27 Jun 2007 - 12:10:38 BST

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 10:44 +0100, Ben Green wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:02:56 +0100, Jim Wight <j.k.wight@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I have upgraded a host and transferred its services into a guest; both
> > run CentOS 5. Two other (Fedora Core 4) guests remain unchanged. Since
> > the change, NFS mounting fails to work in any of the guests. The new one
> > uses ccapabilities with SECURE_MOUNT, SECURE_REMOUNT and BINARY_MOUNT,
> > while the other two use CAP_SYS_ADMIN. I am using 2.6.20.11-vs2.2.0 with
> > util-vserver 0.30.213.
> >I have discovered, though, that NFS mounting works in the guests if the
> > host runs as an NFS server (with no exports).
> >What could be responsible for this abnormal behaviour? I can't think of
> > anything I have done differently this time.
> >Jim
>
> Is the NFS server a vserver guest or standalone machine?

The NFS server I was referring to is on the host hosting the guests. It
is a kludge. I don't want to run it, but doing so is the only way at the
moment I can make NFS mounting in the guests work.

> If a guest is the NFS server, have you tried using a user space NFS server such as nfs-user-server or unfs3?

No, because my aim is not to run a server. I simply want the guests to
be able to mount NFS filesystems from other hosts elsewhere on the
nework. I have guests on other systems doing this without requiring NFS
servers on their hosts.

Jim