[Vserver] compatibility question

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Fri 01 Jun 2007 - 23:57:58 BST

i am suffering from severe burnout and cannot truly think properly today but i
need to give the boss an answer anyway :(

we have an amd64 opteron system using tyan motherboard. guests have been
compiled on this.

if we want to place a mirror server in place for the guests, must we match the
chipset etc or is it enough that the guest is compiled for amd64? ihave
received a quote on an exact replica of our production server, but i would
also like to explore other possibilities for lesser expense, still using the
opteron processors but possibly different motherboard.

i am talking guests only. i know the host o/s would be uniquely installed.

i guess what i am asking is does the guest care as long as it is the same
processors? we want to simply copy the guests from one machine to the other
so if needed the 2nd machine can take over almost immediately.

--
Chuck