Re: [Vserver] Correct usage of vlan devices / weird error

From: Daniel Hokka Zakrisson <daniel_at_hozac.com>
Date: Thu 31 May 2007 - 16:35:11 BST

Oliver Welter wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Today I ran into a problem with newtwork devices on vlans.
>
> My box has one physikal interface (eth0) which hosts two vlans (vlan3 +
> vlan4). The "basic" vlan interfaces are created on system bootup and
> have each one ip assigned.
>
> In the vserver-config I used the default syntax with "vlan3" in the file
> "dev" and ignored the warnings on startup *sic* which worked on my old
> config (0.30.210 tools on 2.6.15 kernel).

What do you have now?

> Today an angry customer called that his webserver is down - examination
> showed:
> The guest has a total of 6 interfaces assigned where 4 are in vlan3, the
> first 3 in the vlan startup properly, the 4th one shows "NETLINK:
> numeric result out of range".

What settings are you using for that interface? (I.e. what does tail
/etc/vservers/<guest>/interfaces/3/* show?)

> Anybody has an idea on this ? And perhaps anybody can point me to a good
> idea how to get rid of the warnings. I dont succeed with the "nodev"
> flag...

How do you not succeed? You simply touch the file, and the utils will do
nothing whatsoever with regard to setting up that IP address/interface,
they'll just assign it to the network context.

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson