Re: [Vserver] yum update screwed centos guest

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Sat 19 May 2007 - 15:56:30 BST

On Saturday 19 May 2007 09:59, Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
> > we run some centos4 x86_64 guests. just did a yum update today on my
template
> > and it screwed up the guest. i do not know all of the damage yet, it
appears
> > to run and the services appear to run but vserver <guestname> enter no
longer
> > works. thankfully i always use the template for update testing first ...
> > whew..
> >
> > i get this when i try: vlogin: openpty(): No such file or directory
> >
> > any clues where to look? or should i just restore from a backup and never
use
> > yum update again? it appears it changes what it will with no regard for
> > existing configuration files.
> >

> It has nothing to do with configuration files. You just lost a (few?)
> device nodes. Recreate or restore /dev from a backup, or another guest.

oh.. ok so then yum messes with devices as well.. maybe.. ok will do that...
might have to put that into a script if it keeps doing this every restart..

> --
> Daniel Hokka Zakrisson

Chuck
"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger,
and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath
or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose
for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. "
The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book