Re: [Vserver] gentoo util-vserver-0.30.212/baselayout-1.13 issues

From: Christian Affolter <c.affolter_at_stepping-stone.ch>
Date: Wed 28 Mar 2007 - 10:34:20 BST

Hi Benedikt!

Thanks for your reply.

>> After installing
>> * sys-kernel/vserver-sources-2.0.2.1
>> * sys-cluster/util-vserver-0.30.212-r2
>
> please update ro -r3, see below
I was unable to find an -r3 release, neither on the official gentoo CVS
repository [1], nor on the VPS overlay [2]. Manually bumping the
util-vserver ebuild doesn't seems to make sense, as no different patches
will be fetched.

Where can I find the mentioned ebuild?

>> On a newly (template) created vserver (with gentoo init style) the
>> following errors appearing while starting the vserver:
>> # vserver basesystem-ng start
>> klogctl: Operation not permitted
>
> just a cosmetic bug, will be fixed soon
Ok, thanks.

>> * Using existing device nodes in /dev ... [ ok ]
>> * Starting syslog-ng ...
>> Error opening file /proc/kmsg for reading (Operation not permitted)
>> Error initializing configuration, exiting.
>
> fixed in -r3
>
>> * Failed to start syslog-ng [ !! ]
>>
>> The second error can easily be solved by removing the /proc/kmsg source
>> entry out of the syslog-ng.conf file (as there is no kmsg within the
>> vserver's proc directory).
>> It would be nice if the pre-built vserver stages would reflect this change.
>>

>> The vserver stop process drops the following error messages:
>> # vserver basesystem-ng stop
>> * Deactivating swap ...
>> Not superuser. [ !! ]
>> * Unmounting loopback devices ... [ ok ]
>> * Unmounting filesystems ...
>> * Unmounting /usr/portage/distfiles ...
>> umount2: Operation not permitted
>> umount: /usr/portage/distfiles: must be superuser to umount
>> umount2: Operation not permitted
>> umount: /usr/portage/distfiles: must be superuser to umount [ !! ]
>> * Unmounting /usr/portage ...
>> umount2: Operation not permitted
>> umount: /usr/portage: must be superuser to umount
>> umount2: Operation not permitted
>> umount: /usr/portage: must be superuser to umount [ !! ]
>> * Unmounting /tmp ...
>> umount2: Operation not permitted
>> umount: none: not found
>> umount: /tmp: must be superuser to umount
>> umount2: Operation not permitted
>> umount: none: not found
>> umount: /tmp: must be superuser to umount [ ok ]
>> WARNING: could not determine runlevel - doing soft halt
>> (it's better to use shutdown instead of halt from the command line)
>> shutdown: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory
>> init: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory
>> /usr/lib/util-vserver/vserver.stop: line 85: 3682 Killed
>> "${NICE_CMD[@]}" ${USE_VNAMESPACE:+$_VNAMESPACE --enter "$S_CONTEXT" --
>> } $_VCONTEXT $SILENT_OPT --migrate --chroot --xid "$S_CONTEXT" --
>> "${INITCMD_STOP[@]}"
>>

> more or less cosmetic too, will be fixed soon too, together with updated
> stages.. feel free to poke me if there aren't new stages within the next
> week
Will those changes be in a new sys-apps/baselayout or do you perform
some manual vserver related changes within the stage building process?
In the first case I should be able to simply update the baselayout
within an existing vserver...

Thanks again!
Chris

[1]